Do you remember when some threads had "Boilfast" on the label? That was
long ago, but I thought, "Hmm... bet I can still boil my stuff..."
 |
These little hand-made embroidered towels are about 12.5" X 7.5" They've both been used and machine washed/dried a few times, but I didn't want any trace of detergent (or anything) on them so then I boiled them for 10 minutes (and air dried them). I wish I'd just hand-washed and boiled them from the start, and I'll do that from now on. Most of their wearing-out came from doing them in the machines, even with "good" detergent. Of course, they won't stay perfect, and I knew that! I still enjoy seeing them, anyway.
They are backed with actually two layers of the Mainstays (Walmart) Flour Sack Towels, cut to size. One layer is what backed my embroidery directly as I sewed, then the outer layer covers all that. I tacked it all together in a few places. Basically, just like you'd do if you made a big quilt.
There are other flour sack towels -- or other fabrics -- that would maybe be a better quilt backing, but as far as dish drying towels go, I love the Mainstays brand (and they're the cheaper ones!).
If you want to embroider on flour sack towels, though, and are not simply using them as towels and backing, you'll want something else (Aunt Martha's). |
 |
Not dirty, but very coffee stained! These are the back sides, even after washing and boiling. But they still work just fine. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are welcome! But all will be moderated first. They won't show up on the page immediately, but as soon as is possible, if approved.